Thursday, March 23, 2006

Greatest Song Ever - "Damage"

Yo La Tengo - Damage

Yo La Tengo - "Damage"
I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, Matador Records, 1998

Periodically, I (like most other excitable people), will see/read/hear something and exclaim in a feverent, salival manner: "GREATST BLANK EVER!"

This is the first of many of those times to be documented on ye olde weblog.

Now, I'm late to a lot of trains, and by the time I found out about it, the 'Tenga train had not only departed, but had made its way accross most of the country. I'm only now starting to fully grasp what I've been missing out on all these years: this song's full, lush wall of sound uses distortion to sooth as only those in love with their shoes can. A simple, muted bassline carries this song's simple, repeated hook around buried vocals. That is, until the wordless chorus disarms you completely.

Best experienced on headphones in the city at night, or on your stereo as loud as possible.

Listen: Yo La Tengo - Damage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home